Pet urine, vomit, wine spills, tobacco smell, coffee stains – oh my! Keeping your carpet clean and odor-free can drastically reduce allergy symptoms and help to improve the air quality in your home. If you’re looking for a better way to deep-clean your carpets, the Bissell Big Green 86T3 Professional Carpet Cleaner Machine may be the best vacuum cleaner for carpets in your home.
Professional carpet cleaning isn’t cheap. Time consuming and labor intensive, a large home with multiple baths can cost between $200 and $300 for one room. Then there are the rental machines, which are convenient, but still require you to do all the work. Plus, you have to return the unit when you’re finished!
In this Bissell Big Green 86T3 Professional Carpet Cleaner Machine review, you’ll find everything you need to know about the features, pros and cons to help you decide before you buy!
AMAZON RATING: 5 STARS
- Weight: 40.6 pounds
- 6” inch Tough Stain Tool
- Folding Handle
- Onboard Measuring Cup
- 10 Brush Rows
- 1.75 Gallon Dual Tank (Removable)
- 10.5” Cleaning Path Width
- 24oz Deep Cleaning Formula
- 5 yr Limited Warranty
Best Suited For:
- Med – Large Carpet (1000 – 2000 sq ft)
- Pet Vomit, Pet Urine
- Deep Carpet Cleaning
Bissell Big Green 86T3 Professional Carpet Cleaner Machine Review (Full)
Few vacuum cleaner and floor care product manufacturers have the experience and expertise that Bissell does. They’ve been setting the industry standard for years when it comes to quality residential carpet cleaning.
With an emphasis on performance over style, the Big Green 86T3 Professional-Grade Carpet Cleaner is a robust beast of a machine. The price tag matches its heavy duty performance, making this vacuum a real worthwhile investment overall.
When you’re looking for the best vacuum for carpet stains, pet hair, vomit, and spills, you really should start with Bissell. They are after all, the leading manufacturers of floor care and vacuum cleaner products in North America.
The BISSELL Big Green is a full-sized carpet cleaner vacuum, designed for deep cleaning carpets that are stained with deeply embedded dirt and unpleasant odors. While the Big Green doesn’t deodorize your carpet, the shampoo is a highly concentrated cleaning formula that lifts even microscopic dirt from the fibers in your carpet for a clean that smells fresh and looks new. Scotchgard protection in the cleaning formula also adds a layer of protection to your carpet to prevent further stains.
Constructed of durable, high quality materials, you’ll find the Bissell Big Green is quite large and sturdy. Weighing slightly over 40 pounds, its anti-tip design, wheels and foldable handle makes it easy to maneuver over flat surfaces. A 10” inch wide intake allows you to cover a lot of area with one pass, reducing the time you spend on household chores.
For cleaning stairs, there’s a long reach nozzle so you don’t actually have to lift the machine ever. Powerful motors drive the extra-large PowerBrush, removing dirt with a powerful suction that collects the dirt in a removable tank. There are 2 tanks, in fact, one for the clean water, as well. It’s a very simple system that allows you to easily maintain your Bissell Big Green in the best working order.
How It Works:
The Big Green Machine is powered by motors inside that rotate the PowerBrush. The scrub bar has 10 brush rows with bristles that dig deep into the fibers of your carpet. There are two tanks, each one removable, with a combined capacity of 1.75 gallons, much larger than most competitors.
You fill one tank with the cleaning solution, leaving the other empty for dirt collection. Once you fill the tank with the cleaning formula, the machine sprays the carpet as you pass over the carpet. The shampoo helps the PowerBrush scrub, loosen, and remove dirt from the carpet fibers.
In the last stage, the Big Green’s powerful suction removes the loosened dirt as well as the solution from the carpet. The dirty water is collected into the dirt tank, which you can then easily remove and empty. Now all you have to do is wait for your carpet to dry.
Does The Bissell Big Green Heat The Water?
There is no heating element, no switches for temperature. You select the temperature of the water you want to mix with the cleaning solution. If you’re using tap water, be sure to use quality, purified water with low levels of hardness.
Hard water doesn’t mix well with soap or any cleaning solution at all due to the high levels of calcium and magnesium ions. You can check out these water softener reviews for the best options.
How To Use The Bissell Big Green Machine
Heavy-duty suction power lifts and extracts dirt and even some odors from your carpet and upholstery. Powerful scrubbing action removes embedded, ground-in dirt that smaller vacuums can’t.
Two extra-large capacity tanks keep the clean and dirty water separate, to make cleanup faster and easier. You can clean a large 2000 sq ft. room without ever needing to refill the tank with more cleaning solution.
You can use the 6-inch Tough Stain Tool to spray and scrub away extra-tough stains like wine and coffee.an extra-long hose is included as well to gives you extra reach when you’re cleaning stairs or curtains.
What We Like:
- POWERFUL BRUSH AND SUCTION: Rotating DirtLifter PowerBrushes provides more dirt removing power
- AMAZING STAIN REMOVAL: Excellent for spot cleaning wine, coffee, juice spills on carpet
- VERSATILE: Use the long reach hose for stairs and high places, or the tough stain tool to get rid of unsightly stains
- CONVENIENT FEATURES: Flow Indicator light notifies you when the cleaning solution levels are low
- 1.75 GALLON TANK CAPACITY: Large capacity dual tanks for clean and dirty water are both removable for added convenience
- Can be quite noisy
- Heavier than it looks, even though much of it is plastic
7 Important Carpet Cleaning Tips
Professional carpet cleaning can be costly, but for a reason. Not many people know how to clean carpets effectively. Applying the wrong chemicals and failing to prep your rooms properly will not only cost you more money but potentially ruin your beautiful carpet!
If it’s your first time giving your carpet a professional-grade cleaning, you’ll need to prep your home accordingly. According to How Stuff Works, there are a few ways you can clean your carpet:
- Clean carpets outdoors if possible. Runners and small area rugs should be removed from the home and cleaned outdoors to avoid re-introducing loosened dirt back into the home.
- Remove all furniture from the room before shampooing your carpet for cleaning.
- Plan for at least 3hrs of carpet cleaning in your schedule. If you’re planning to deep clean a carpet yourself, you’ll need to set aside time for the carpet cleaning and drying time. Depending on the size of the room and the type of carpet, you can expect a carpet to take at least 2hrs to dry.
- Vacuum backwards, working your way from the farthest wall back to the entrance of the room. This way, you’ll avoid walking over areas you’ve already cleaned.
- Vacuum large wall-to-wall carpets in a criss-cross pattern, working one section at a time. Divide the carpet into quadrants, then work each section thoroughly.
- Open doors and windows while vacuuming. As you vacuum, dirt particles get lifted into the air. These particles can easily get trapped again in your curtains, upholstery, and even your hair! By opening the windows and doors, you’ll provide added ventilation to help remove strong odors and allergens.
- Dry vacuum at least once each week to reduce the buildup of dust mites and allergens. This will minimize the need for deep carpet cleaning in your home.
- Don’t neglect baseboards and crevices. Use the crevice tool to get baseboards and in between sofa each week.
Carpet Stain Removal Tips
Wine, coffee, and fruit juices can really stain a carpet. Once they’re absorbed into the fibers, removing the stain can be extremely difficult without the use of heavy-duty chemicals. The best way to treat stains and spills is to address them immediately.
Spot cleaning a spill or stain by hand prevents the spill from spreading. Vinegar, dish soap and warm water are an easy DIY solution you can use to spot clean spills and stains.
Pour warm water directly over the stain and dab it with a dry cloth or sponge to absorb as much of the dirt as possible.
Next, use a simple homemade solution of:
- ¼ teaspoon of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of dish soap
- 1 qt of warm water.
Using a sponge or cloth, continue dabbing the area until the stain is removed. Baking soda, table salt, and cleaning detergent are another alternative cleaning solution you can try.